Social Security is a complex system to navigate. Several benefits programs provide financial assistance to people living with disabilities. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) are the two most common federal programs. Being aware of, and applying for, these benefits is an important part of planning for future care for your child.
Does getting started feel daunting? Fear not: you are not alone. Shellie Lott is an attorney in the Sacramento, CA region who has practiced Social Security disability for 15 years. Shellie also runs a free monthly clinic for people with questions about Social Security. She graciously volunteered to bring you the basics in three short videos:
1. Disability Requirements
2. Application & Appeal Processes
3. Resource & Income Requirements
The videos are intended for general informational purposes only and do not substitute legal advice. Please see the resources below for more information:
- The Social Security Administration website is a good place to start.
- The Wilborn-Method is a how-to guide about the application process.
- Your local Parent to Parent organization stands ready to connect, inform and support you.